Aquaculture Pathology Laboratory, School of Animal and Comparative Biomedical Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ (USA)
July 17-22, 2017
After a hiatus, the Aquaculture Pathology Laboratory will again offer an intensive one-week course combining lectures with hands-on laboratory sessions, demonstrating the methods used for detection and diagnosis of the diseases farmed shrimp.
The following topics will be covered:
· Short-course introduction, purpose, scope and schedule.
· Major shrimp diseases listed by World Animal Health Organization (OIE)
· The baculovirus diseases: white spot syndrome virus (WSSV), monodon-type baculovirus
· (MBV), baculovirus penaei (BP)
· The parvovirus diseases: infectious hypodermal and hematopoietic necrosis virus
· (IHHNV), hepatopancreatic virus (HPV)
· RNA viruses infecting penaeid shrimp: Taura syndrome virus (TSV), yellow head
· virus (YHV), infectious myonecrosis (IMNV), Penaeus nodavirus (PvNV), white
· tail disease (WTD)
· Bacterial diseases: acute hepatopancreatic necrosis disease (AHPND; caused by a
· unique strain of Vibrio parahaemolyticus), necrotizing hepatopancreatitis (NHP-B),
· Vibrio harveyi.
· Microsporidian diseases: Enterocytozoon hepatopenaei (EHP), cotton shrimp disease
· Methods of disease prevention and/or treatment.
· Development of biosecurity and quarantine protocols
Topics to be covered in the labs include:
- Sample preparations for histology and PCR.
- PCR/RT-PCR for diagnosis of WSSV, AHPND, EHP, TSV
- qPCR/qRT-PCR for diagnosis of WSSV, AHPND, TSV
- Laboratory bioassay: AHPND
- Review of histopathology of viral and bacterial diseases.
Registration is limited to 30. Cost: $2,000 (USD) if the deposit is received on or before June 1, 2017; $2,500 (USD) if the deposit is received on or after June 2, 2017.
For more information about the course or to register, go to https://acbs.cals.arizona.edu/aqua, or contact:
Dr. Arun K. Dhar or Ms. Deborah Huie
Aquaculture Pathology Laboratory
School of Animal and Comparative Biomedical Sciences
University of Arizona
1117 E. Lowell Street, Room 102
Tucson, Arizona 85721 USA
Phone: 520-621-4438; Fax : 520-626-5602
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com