Doctors and Specialists of aquariums, ponds and fish health.

I’ve been seeing many businesses advertise they’re specialists in this and that. And so, out of curiosity, I googled the word ‘specialist’. This is what I found.


Fair enough. I guess all my clients are the watery kind and that could make me a specialist.

But did you know that in the medical and veterinary profession, such relaxed use of the term ‘specialist’ is frowned upon, unless you have specialist registration in that profession.

At the moment, the highest examined qualification that veterinarians with special interest in fish is the MANZCVS in Aquatic Animal Health.

Long story short, I’d take a closer look at the qualifications of so-called doctors and specialists. Do they call themselves or their businesses ‘doctor’ because they have a degree in medicine, veterinary science or a PhD? Do they call themselves ‘specialists’ because they are registered with body as such? Some food for thought…


Yours sincerely,

Dr Richmond Loh
DipProjMgt, BSc, BVMS, MPhil (Pathology) Murdoch, MANZCVS (Aquatics & Pathobiology), CertAqV, NATA Signatory.
Aquatic Veterinarian | Adjunct Lecturer Murdoch University | President WAVMA |
Secretary Aquatic Animal Health Chapter – ANZCVS.
THE FISH VET, Perth, Western Australia, AUSTRALIA.
Mobile Aquatic Veterinary Medical & Diagnostic Services.
Ph: +61 (0)421 822 383
Skype: thefishvet


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s